- Full service:
- 3.520,00 €
Height: 5199m - Kenya
We are your experts for mountains in Africa. Come along and climb Mount Kenya with us:
- Alpine tour at 5000m+
- Enjoyable gneiss, beautiful rock
- Ascent of the "real" Mount Kenya
Stamina - Endurance
A mountain athlete needs endurance above any other specific fitness skill. Cardiovascular fitness is of course always subject to the movement (as climbing rocks or steep ice, you will not be able to transfer your triathlete or running fitness to mountains without being solid in the required mountaineering skills).
Easy treks to EBC or on top of Kilimanjaro. You should be an active person.
More demanding treks, simple climbs, like the climb of Elbrus. You should be a sportive person regularly exercising (at least 2-3x per week).
Very demanding treks like to the top of Aconcagua, or expeditions at the physical lower level like Ama Dablam. You should be an endurance athlete wit mountaineering experience. You should train endurance at least 3x/week.
Some of our special self-supported 8000m+ peak climbs as on Makalu, or to climb Everest (without oxygen-support) fit into this category. Your endurance should be near the level of a professional mountain athlete.
Reiseerfahrungen aus unserem Blog
Mount Kenya Climb - the true summit
- Full service:
- 3.520,00 €
Airport of departure:
Berlin, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, München, Stuttgart.
Groups: On request we organize your desired customised tour to Mount Kenya: expedition or event. If you climb the Naro Moru Route, there is a possibility to reduce cost. Please contact us.
Tips: For the organisation of our moving camps, we hire an average of three local helpers per participant for the seven days spent on the mountain (depending on the size of the group). For the week, each participant is expected to contribute US$100 of tips to the team and US$50 to the guide.
Basic package: The offer is valid for alpinists/climbers with joint registration as an independent roped party with their own equipment.
Services - Mount Kenya Climb
- Organisation of the trip from Europe, including flight
- Expedition leader:
- smaller groups with 2-7 participants led by one of our experienced Kenyan guides
- larger groups with 8-12 participants led by SummitClimb expedition leader, accompanied by Kenyan guides
- max 12 participants in the group
- Scheduled flights to Nairobi and back with at least 30 kg free baggage allowance
- Airport transfers in Nairobi
- 2 nights in ***hotel in Nairobi with breakfast
Basic Package (also included in Full-Service Package):
- Organisation from Nairobi to Nairobi
- Transfer from Nairobi to the mountain and back
- 4x4 drive to the National Park gate / end of the road, depending on conditions
- All camp equipment: dining tent, kitchen tent and kitchen material
- Catering by our experienced kitchen team, full board on the mountain
- Porters for our group material and food
- Team on the mountain incl. guide
- Personal porter up to 18 kg during the trekking
- Emergency assistance
- Full first-aid kit
Full Service on the mountain:
- Local mountain guide for the ascent of Batian (2 guests per guide)
- Group material for climbing: ropes & rack
- Satellite telephone / radio
- Overnight stay in a sleeping tent (2 persons)
- Overnight fee for Austrian Hut / Shipton's Hut
- National Park fees (US$ 315 / 5-day package)
Not included: Personal equipment, private expenses (such as telephone calls, alcoholic beverages, snacks, gifts etc.), travel insurance (health, accident, travel cancellation), visa fees for Kenya, tips.
Planned itinerary - Mount Kenya Climb
Day 1 - 2 • Arrival in Kenya
Arrival by flight and transfer to hotel in Nairobi, bed & breakfast. Full day to relax, sightseeing in Nairobi (National Park, Bomas), last shopping (snacks, etc.) and climbing training in Lukenya, approx. 1 hour drive outside of Nairobi. In the evening dinner together with tour briefing and meeting of all group participants.
Day 3 - 5 • Trekking and acclimatization
Together with the SummitClimb Mount Kenya Trekking Group, we will hike along the trekking route. On the way, mountain guides and participants of the climbing trip will discuss the ascent and practice the theoretical basics (belay techniques, commands).
Day 6 • Climbing on Mount Kenya
Winter: We hike up to Austrian Hut and from there we can climb Point Lenana (4985m).
Summer: From Shipton's Camp we can do a training tour or try the ascent of Batian.
Day 7 • Mount Kenya ascent
today we plan to climb Batian (5199m). We get up early in the morning to be at the start of the route by the first sunlight.
Winter: The ascent along the Nelion Normal Route begins easily, so we gain altitude quickly. Past MacKinder's Gendarme the key rope length is waiting for us, then we follow block terrain with two spots of UIAA 3rd degree of difficulty to the summit of Nelion (5189m). Before we traverse to Batian, we have to abseil into the Gate of the Mists and then climb up a third ridge to Batian (5199m). For the descent from Nelion we abseil over the Austrian rescue line.
Summer: The very first rope length offers a key passage (UIAA 4) and is the first challenge with numb fingers. After that it is easier to go through a couloir to the amphitheater (until then there is a significant risk of falling rocks), over Firmin's Tower to the west ridge. The ridge runs long past Shipton's Notch to the main summit of Batian (5199m). The descent is along the ascent route by abseiling and climbing down.
Day 8-9 • Descent
We plan to descend together with the trekking group, flight back home.
Below, you will find the list with the personal equipment that is recommended for our Mount Kenya climb.
down to - 10°C
with wind chill factor down to - 15°C
General conditions of the climb
Rock and alpine climbing, occasionally snow and ice, technically demanding.
Citizens of the EU, Switzerland, UK, USA and most OECD countries can obtain the visa for Kenya online, as by 1.1.2021 the only option: E-Visa Kenya
Currently, you need a hotel voucher to fill in your visa application. Latest 2 weeks before departure we will send you one.
Preparation - Mount Kenya Climb
Requirements (Normal routes): Experience in belaying techniques, independent abseiling, and climbing skills up to UIAA grade IV (as a second) should be brought along for the ascent of Nelion / Batian. The routes are multi-pitch climbs at high altitudes around 5,000 m / 16,500 ft. The appropriate fitness is required.
Other climbs: For ascents of more demanding routes, we will be happy to advise you individually.
Endurance: An average physical condition and a strong will are sufficient to reach the summit of Point Lenana, and you will hike for a maximum of 6 hours a day (longer excursions optional) during the trekking. The summit day for Nelion / Batian involves an evaluation gain of approx. 1,000 meters / 3,300 feet, of which 400-500 meters (depending on route) climbing alpine rock. Generally, we pan with 2 hours for the approach to the base of the climb, 8 hours for the ascent, 6 hours for descent (total 16h summit day).
Kenya travel & Covid-19
- Test: You need a valid COVID-19 negative PCR test certificate conducted within 72 hours before their travel to Kenya (children under the age of five are exempt from this requirement, as are airline crew on a layover)
- Vaccination / Certificate: Passengers who are aged 18 or over must have a certificate of vaccination against COVID-19. COVID-19 vaccines approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) are considered valid by public health officials in Kenya.
Travellers who are exempt from vaccination or who have recovered from COVID-19 in the preceding 90 days are exempt from this requirement; however, such persons must provide a letter from a medical practitioner confirming their exemption or recovery from COVID-19.
- Upload Documents: Travellers must upload their certificate of vaccination and negative PCR test certificate to https://globalhaven.org/ before boarding their flight
- All passengers irrespective of nationality and residency status shall be expected to fill in the travellers’ form (link) before travel.
- A random antigen test may be taken by port health officers on entry, depending on risk evaluation of the country of origin. Any person who tests positive will be directed to isolate at home (for Kenyan residents) or in a Ministry of Health designated facility (for non-Kenyan residents) for 10 days, at their own cost
- All passengers displaying flu-like symptoms on arrival, or who develop symptoms of COVID-19 within 14 days of arrival, may be placed into quarantine at home or at a government facility, at their own cost
- Any passengers testing positive will be required to take a PCR test and isolated awaiting results. If the PCR is positive, passengers will need to isolate for 10 days at Government of Kenya approved isolation facilities at their own cost, with a repeat PCR test on day 7
- All passengers departing Kenya will be required to show a certificate of vaccination against COVID-19, unless they have a certificate of exemption from a medical practitioner. COVID-19 vaccines approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) are considered valid by public health officials in Kenya. You must have received a full dose of a WHO-approved vaccination. Under 18s are exempt from this requirement.
- Test: For the flight/rules of your home country we may have to take another PCR-test / antigen test before departure.
- Most countries require you to fill out an online arrival form before travel or entry.
Short safari to the wild north of Kenya (3 days, 2 nights)
The Samburu and Buffalo Springs National Reserves usually have a high density of animals. The Ewaso Nyiro River, which meanders like a green ribbon between the two reserves, is the lifeline. Never-ending springs in the Buffalo Springs Reserve provide animals with water even in the dry season. The area lies between 800 and 1,500m, so warm to hot temperatures are to be expected, especially during the day. Located north - only 100km as the crow flies - of Mount Kenya and far from the masses of safari tourism (Nairobi, Coast, Masai Mara), this safari is suitable as a winding down and warming experience after our Mount Kenya climb.
Details on request.
Experience this classic Safari after climbing Mount Kenya. We will drive to the foot of Kilimanjaro and observe Africa's fascinating wildlife. Beside many elephants a pool of the lodge is waiting for us, where we can recover from all exertions. Some participants will travel on to Kilimanjaro afterwards. However, you can "only" enjoy this exciting and interesting 3-day safari at the end of the Mount Kenya Tour and then travel back home via Nairobi (or to the coast).
Day 1 - Drive to Amboseli National Park.
Drive to Amboseli National Park. At noon we arrive at the lodge. After a short rest follows the evening wildlife safari with a chance to see nocturnal animals such as hyenas. Overnight stay in a nice safari lodge, foreseen the Sentrim Lodge (B&B/VP).
Day 2 - Amboseli Safari
A full day of wildlife viewing. Amboseli Park is famous for the large herds of elephants that roam in front of Kilimanjaro. We can also observe many other animals and visit a Masai village if we wish. We will spend the evening at the lodge - with a view of Kilimanjaro on a clear day. Lodge (bed and breakfast).
Day 3 - Amboseli Safari - Nairobi / Kenya
Early in the morning with sunrise, we go on a game drive. With a little luck, we will observe herds of elephants in front of Kilimanjaro, zebras, hippopotamus, wildebeest, and lions. Afterward we drive back to Nairobi, respectively organize your/your connecting program.
Services & Costs:
- Safari in minibus or Landcruiser
- Experienced, English speaking driver/guide
- Unlimited mileage on game drives
- Overnight stays/meals at Sentrim Lodge
- All park entrance fees
- Activities not mentioned such as village visit, etc.
Cost per person: USD 1,050.- / EUR 875,- (min. 4 participants)
Single room supplement: USD 170 / EUR 140,-
Swiss safari guide on request - timely booking necessary.