- Basic costs:
- 1.295,00 €
- Full service:
- 2.995,00 €
We are your mountain experts in Africa. Come along and enjoy the beauty of the African mountains with us:
- Wild canyons & landscape
- Lonely paths, off the beaten track
- Diverse and spectacular scenery
Technical skills: Hiking
Stamina - Endurance
A mountain athlete needs endurance above any other specific fitness skill. Cardiovascular fitness is of course always subject to the movement (as climbing rocks or steep ice, you will not be able to transfer your triathlete or running fitness to mountains without being solid in the required mountaineering skills).
Easy treks to EBC or on top of Kilimanjaro. You should be an active person.
More demanding treks, simple climbs, like the climb of Elbrus. You should be a sportive person regularly exercising (at least 2-3x per week).
Very demanding treks like to the top of Aconcagua, or expeditions at the physical lower level like Ama Dablam. You should be an endurance athlete wit mountaineering experience. You should train endurance at least 3x/week.
Some of our special self-supported 8000m+ peak climbs as on Makalu, or to climb Everest (without oxygen-support) fit into this category. Your endurance should be near the level of a professional mountain athlete.
Reiseerfahrungen aus unserem Blog
Mount Kenya Trekking
- Basic costs:
- 1.295,00 €
- Full service:
- 2.995,00 €
Airport of departure:
Berlin, Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, München, Stuttgart oder Wien (EU und ander euro. Orte auf Anfrage)
Basic package: only the listed services are included. Full-service price includes all services starting with a flight from Europe.
National Park fees are included in the full-service package. With the basic package you will pay them on your own, depending on your status (for Kenyan citizens / residents prices are cheaper than for tourists). There are discounts for children up to 16 years old (with school ID).
Tips: For the organisation of our moving camps, we hire an average of three local helpers per participant for the six days spent on the mountain (depending on the size of the group). For the week, each participant is expected to contribute US$100-150 of tips to the team.
Services - Mount Kenya Trekking
- Organisation of the trip from Europe, including flight
- Expedition leader:
- smaller groups with 2-7 participants led by one of our experienced Kenyan guides
- larger groups with 8-12 participants led by SummitClimb expedition leader, accompanied by Kenyan guides
- max 12 participants in the group
- Scheduled flights to Nairobi and back with at least 30 kg free baggage allowance
- Airport transfers in Nairobi
- 2 nights in ***hotel in Nairobi with breakfast
- National Park fees (US$ 315 / 5-day package)
- Overnight fee for Austrian Hut / Shipton's Hut
- Setting up of camps and overnight stay in tents (2 persons)
- Personal porter (up to 18 kg)
- For larger groups with 8-12 participants: Satellite telephone
- For larger groups with 8-12 participants: Regular News-Blog updates from the trip
Basic Package (also included in Full-Service Package):
- Organisation from Nairobi to Nairobi
- Transfer from Nairobi to the mountain and back
- 4x4 drive to the National Park gate / end of the road, depending on conditions
- All camp equipment: dining tent, kitchen tent and kitchen material
- Catering by our experienced kitchen team, full board on the mountain
- Porters for our group material and food
- Team on the mountain incl. guide
- Emergency assistance
- Full first-aid kit
Not included: Personal equipment, private expenses (such as telephone calls, alcoholic beverages, snacks, gifts etc.), travel insurance (health, accident, travel cancellation), visa fees for Kenya, tips.
Itinerary - Mount Kenya Trekking (in modification)
Day 1 • Departure from Europe
Departure from Europe in the afternoon or evening, then night flight to Kenya.
Day 2 • Arrival in Kenya
Arrival in Nairobi (1700 m). Our driver will meet you at the airport and drive you to your hotel. Full day to relax at the hotel (located in the city center, with pool), to visit Nairobi or take a trip to the surrounding areas. Meeting with all participants, detailed tour briefing, last purchases (snacks, drinks etc.), dinner together. ***Hotel: accommodation with breakfast (double/twin sharing).
Day 3 • Mount Kenya Trekking
Note for the 1st day on Mount Kenya: in case of heavy rains, the roads are difficult to drive on and we will have to add a 3-6km hike to reach our first camp (1 to 2 hours). There are many wild animals (elephants, leopards and buffaloes) in the forest belt of Mount Kenya, so we should stay together as a group.
a.) (Winter) Chogoria Route: After breakfast we drive about 5 hours to Chogoria. There we change cars and with a 4x4 we drive into the national park to the park entrance and if the road conditions are good - further to Chogoria Bandas. Overnight in tent / Full board. (3000 m).
b.) (Summer) Sirimon Route: Drive via Nanyuki to the Sirimon Route and if road conditions are good - further to the Old Moses camp. Overnight in tent / Full board. (2900 m)
Day 4 • Mount Kenya Trekking
a.) Chogoria Route: a short hike along an old road leads us through afro-alpine slopes with forest towards meadows. We hike up following a ridge, along the Chogoria Gorge and then we continue inside it! Camp at the Lake Michaelson, a unique camp in fascinating surroundings! Overnight in tent / Full board. (3800 m).
b.) Sirimon Route: trekking leads through afro-alpine slopes to Teleki North Camp in Mackinders Valley (3700 m), where we can stay overnight. It is also possible that we hike up to the next camp at Shipton's hut at the foot of the main peaks. Overnight in tent / Full board. (3700 m or 4200 m).
Day 5 • Mount Kenya Trekking
a.) Chogoria Route: Rest day and short hikes at the Lake Michaelson, Overnight in tent / Full board. (3800 m). Alternatively we can climb up to Minto's Camp, where we can see a completely different perspective of the Chogoria Gorge. Overnight in tent / Full board. (4300 m).
b.) Sirimon Route: Ascent to the next camp at Shipton's Hut (4200 m) at the foot of the main peaks, or a rest day/hikes at the camp already reached. Overnight in tent / Full board. (4200 m).
Day 6 • Point Lenana (4980m) ascent
We plan to climb Point Lenana today: we start early (about 3:00 am) to enjoy the sunrise over the savannah of Africa in the morning light.
a.) Half summit round: we hike to the Austrian Hut (4800m) and to MacKinder's Hut in the Teleki Valley. Optionally we climb Point Lenana from the Austrian Hut (approx. 45 min.) and make excursions on the south side of Mount Kenya. Overnight in tent in MacKinder's Camp, Full board (4200 m).
b.) Circumnavigation of Mount Kenya summit: we hike around the main peaks (Nelion and Batian), climbing Point Lenana and reaching Shipton Camp after 6-9 hours. Overnight in tent / Full board. (4200 m).
Day 7 • Mount Kenya - reserve day
An extra day for the ascent of Mount Kenya Point Lenana. We can also use it for other hikes in the area. As an option, climbers can climb the main summit (Batian, 5199 m).
a.) The camp stays at MacKinder's, we can complete the circumnavigation and reach Shipton Camp.
b.) We cross below Point Lenana and then descend through the Chogoria Gorge.
Day 8 • Mount Kenya descent
a.) Naro Moru Route: after the descent via the Med Station (or possibly further to the gate), we drive back to Nairobi via Naro Moru.
b.) Chogoria Route: depending on the road conditions, we either drive from Chogoria Bandas, or have to walk a bit. From Chogoria a vehicle brings us back to Nairobi.
Overnight stay in a hotel before we leave for the airport at night or the next day.
***Hotel or Lodge: accommodation with breakfast (double/twin sharing).
Day 9 • "Asante Kenya" (Thank you Kenya)
Return flight to Europe in the early morning (with Turkish via Istanbul, with KLM via Amsterdam, with Emirates via Dubai) and arrival at home.
Enjoy Kenya: Alternatively, you can stay longer in Kenya and enjoy a safari or spend some time at the beach. A safari to Amboseli National Park often takes place after this trip, but there are obviously many other options, as a group or individually. We will be glad to assist you and help you extend your program.
Active trip to Kenia
The Kenya trek invites active hikers and sporty travelers to explore a scenically unique region on exciting trails away from mass tourism and to climb the almost 5000 meters high Point Lenana.
General conditions of the trek
Trekking, occasional snow, and ice, good trails, camping
- at 4000m: at night for the first time below 0°C
- Lenana summit, at nights/tomorrow down to -5°C
- Summit during the day around 0°C
- with wind-chill factor down to - 10°C
Below, you will find the list of the personal equipment that is recommended for our Mount Kenya trekking.
Citizens of the EU, Switzerland, UK, USA, and most OECD countries can obtain the visa for Kenya online, as by 1.1.2021 the only option: E-Visa Kenya
Currently, you need a hotel voucher to fill in your visa application. Latest 2 weeks before departure we will send you one.
Preparation - Mount Kenya Trekking
Requirements (Trekking): An average physical condition and a strong will are sufficient to reach the summit of Point Lenana. You will hike for a maximum of 6 hours a day; longer excursions are optional. You don't need to have a strong mountaineering background for our Mount Kenya trekking though experience in hiking would be helpful.
Additional option - Climbing: Optionally, the ascent of the main peaks Batian/Nelion can be planned as part of your Mount Kenya Trekking. For climbing and non-climbing friends or couples, the trip can be adapted as well. See the requirements and the information on the separate page: climbing > Mount Kenya.
Kenya travel & Covid-19
- Test: You need a valid COVID-19 negative PCR test certificate conducted within 72 hours before their travel to Kenya (children under the age of five are exempt from this requirement, as are airline crew on a layover)
- Vaccination / Certificate: Passengers who are aged 18 or over must have a certificate of vaccination against COVID-19. COVID-19 vaccines approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) are considered valid by public health officials in Kenya.
Travellers who are exempt from vaccination or who have recovered from COVID-19 in the preceding 90 days are exempt from this requirement; however, such persons must provide a letter from a medical practitioner confirming their exemption or recovery from COVID-19.
- Upload Documents: Travellers must upload their certificate of vaccination and negative PCR test certificate to https://globalhaven.org/ before boarding their flight
- All passengers irrespective of nationality and residency status shall be expected to fill in the travellers’ form (link) before travel.
- A random antigen test may be taken by port health officers on entry, depending on risk evaluation of the country of origin. Any person who tests positive will be directed to isolate at home (for Kenyan residents) or in a Ministry of Health designated facility (for non-Kenyan residents) for 10 days, at their own cost
- All passengers displaying flu-like symptoms on arrival, or who develop symptoms of COVID-19 within 14 days of arrival, may be placed into quarantine at home or at a government facility, at their own cost
- Any passengers testing positive will be required to take a PCR test and isolated awaiting results. If the PCR is positive, passengers will need to isolate for 10 days at Government of Kenya approved isolation facilities at their own cost, with a repeat PCR test on day 7
- All passengers departing Kenya will be required to show a certificate of vaccination against COVID-19, unless they have a certificate of exemption from a medical practitioner. COVID-19 vaccines approved by the World Health Organization (WHO) are considered valid by public health officials in Kenya. You must have received a full dose of a WHO-approved vaccination. Under 18s are exempt from this requirement.
- Test: For the flight/rules of your home country we may have to take another PCR-test / antigen test before departure.
- Most countries require you to fill out an online arrival form before travel or entry.
"Der Mount Kenia-Trek war eine wunderschöne Tour in faszinierender Landschaft und durch afroalpine Vegetation. Unsere Begleitmannschaft war super hilfsbereit und hat uns bestens unterstützt. Die Köche haben uns stets mit großartigen Mahlzeiten verwöhnt und die Guides haben uns teils individuell betreut. Es war ein tolles Erlebnis, in Afrika, unmittelbar am Äquator!"
(L. K. aus Berlin - 07. February 2023 )
A short safari into the wild north of Kenya (3 days, 2 nights)
The Samburu and Buffalo Springs National Reserves usually have a high density of animals. The Ewaso Nyiro River, which meanders like a green ribbon between the two reserves, is the lifeline. Never-ending springs in the Buffalo Springs Reserve provide animals with water even in the dry season. The area lies between 800 and 1,500m, so warm to hot temperatures are to be expected, especially during the day. Located north - only 100km as the crow flies - of Mount Kenya and far from the masses of safari tourism (Nairobi, Coast, Masai Mara), this safari is suitable as a winding down and warming experience after our Mount Kenya climb.
Details on request.
Single Upgrade for 2 nights.
Experience this classic Safari after climbing Mount Kenya. We will drive to the foot of Kilimanjaro and observe Africa's fascinating wildlife. Beside many elephants a pool of the lodge is waiting for us, where we can recover from all exertions. Some participants will travel on to Kilimanjaro afterwards. However, you can "only" enjoy this exciting and interesting 3-day safari at the end of the Mount Kenya Tour and then travel back home via Nairobi (or to the coast).
Day 1 - Drive to Amboseli National Park.
Drive to Amboseli National Park. At noon we arrive at the lodge. After a short rest follows the evening wildlife safari with a chance to see nocturnal animals such as hyenas. Overnight stay in a nice safari lodge, foreseen the Sentrim Lodge (B&B/VP).
Day 2 - Amboseli Safari
A full day of wildlife viewing. Amboseli Park is famous for the large herds of elephants that roam in front of Kilimanjaro. We can also observe many other animals and visit a Masai village if we wish. We will spend the evening at the lodge - with a view of Kilimanjaro on a clear day. Lodge (bed and breakfast).
Day 3 - Amboseli Safari - Nairobi / Kenya
Early in the morning with sunrise, we go on a game drive. With a little luck, we will observe herds of elephants in front of Kilimanjaro, zebras, hippopotamus, wildebeest, and lions. Afterward we drive back to Nairobi, respectively organize your/your connecting program.
Services & Costs:
- Safari in minibus or Landcruiser
- Experienced, English speaking driver/guide
- Unlimited mileage on game drives
- Overnight stays/meals at Sentrim Lodge
- All park entrance fees
- Activities not mentioned such as village visit, etc.
Cost per person: USD 1,050.- / EUR 875,- (min. 4 participants)
Single room supplement: USD 170 / EUR 140,-
Swiss safari guide on request - timely booking necessary.